Quote:Scandinavian modern (c.1930s to present)
Also know as Swedish modern, this style emerged at the same time as modernism in the 1930s.
It took the basic concept of modernism and fused it with traditional materials. The result is beautifully made furniture in organic shapes chiefly fashioned from wood, which is in abundance in Scandinavia. Its basic philosophy 'beauty for all' has arguably been continued into the present day with the Swedish phenomenon of IKEA.
- accents of colour
- blonde wood
- natural materials
- well designed, functional furniture
Quote:Get the look
- Flooring - floors should be wooden but using good quality wood with the grain showing through. This has developed into laminated floorboards.
- Colour schemes - colours are white, white and more white.
- Accessories - add dashes of colour in the form of paintings and modern art.
- Furniture - look for furniture in blonde wood in curvy, organic shapes often teamed with tubular steel and leather.
- Flowers - flowers should be in stark, architectural shapes such as lilies, orchids; or cacti.
Accents of colour
Functional room layouts
Colors & Patterns
desiretoinspire - whimsy modern
desiretoinspire - Danish modern
desire to inspire - Swedish modern
desiretoinspire - more Swedish modern
desiretoinspire - Norwegian modern
Liveable Scandinavian Modern - home-designing.com
In many modern Scandinavian homes there is a mix of design classic, IKEA furniture and quirky details with humour. The walls tend to be white. The big furniture is often in neutral colours (white, grey, beige, un-bleached fabric, leather) to make them timeless and long lasting. Pillows, rugs, accessory or smaller furniture is often colourful and have modern fabrics with patterns on them. stylised nature motives are common in patterns. A single wall with colour or wallpaper is a common feature. Mixing in antique pieces among the modern pieces is another common feature.
Do not over clutter the rooms, that will ruin the look. But well placed clutter/small decorative items can add a lot to the look
I would like for you to familiarize yourself with the different themes that can be used to create this design. Take inspiration from the information provided and recreate it in your game. Share with us your photos.
*Please keep your photos limited to 10 per post.
How To: Post Pictures
Our official Scandinavian Modern Pinterest board