Beginner Take better pictures
[Image: banner-takebetter.png]

Our articles about taking better pictures:
Issue 1 - Sims 2
Issue 2 - Sims 2 - including Photoshop tips
Issue 10 - Sims 2 & 3
Issue 17 - Mostly Sims 3 tips

5 general tips
  • Get rid of the game interface. Never show pictures with the menu, pause lines, the floor grid showing or the walls down. It always ruins a good picture.
  • Get a good angle. Do not just take the pictures in the angle you were playing in, but try to get the best possible angle for the shot you are taking. Going down to your Sims eye height often gives you the best pictures, but more unusual angles can work as well.
  • Zoom in and Crop. Get close to whatever you are taking pictures of and crop away any unimportant surroundings. We don't need to see miles of ceiling, or bare floors and walls. Pick a subject and feature that.
  • Remember the lighting. Nothing ruins a good shot like bad lighting, so remember to do what you can to give yourself just the right lighting for the mood you are after. In The Sims 2 you can use coloured light to set a mood and in The Sims 3 all lamps come with light that can change colour just a click away.
  • Re-size your pictures for forum use. If you are going to post your pictures on a forum, you probably have to make them smaller to fit the forum rules. They ask you not to post your full screen shots because it slows down the forum load time for anyone who does not have the best internet speed.
[+] 5 users say Thank You to macthekat for this post
Received Awards:
OrganizerAd ManPhotographerLayouterChallenge HostStir CrazyTutorial WriterTopic StarterFeedbackerLS Extra StafferTreasure HunterGreat BuilderDesign StylerGold StafferDorm CrazyTake me AwayCount Them: 1, 2, 3Time TravellerClock RacerBirthday WisherHoarderSending LoveAnd unicornsTech SuportPet PersonChallenge CrazyPrize DonatorChallenge GuruSmall QuartersEP MonsterMini MeEA are you kidding?Based in FictionWCIF MasterJudgecornDeck the HallsSilver StafferDine outColor Lover
Sims 2 advice

High settings for image capturing
Even if your computer can't handle high graphic settings for general game play, set them up as high as you can then you take pictures and turn them back down afterwards.
[Image: mackat095.jpg]

Don't use the in game camera:
[Image: Screenshot_ingame-camera.jpg]
Picture taken with the in game camera. As you can see it is kind of blurry and has some strange colour spots. This happens because the game compresses the images too much.

[Image: mackat099.jpg]
The same picture taken with a image capturing program instead of the in game camera. You can Google "Free screenshot capturing program" and you should find one easier.

If you use the in game camera
Make sure your settings are set up as high as they go:
[Image: mackat097.jpg]
Received Awards:
OrganizerAd ManPhotographerLayouterChallenge HostStir CrazyTutorial WriterTopic StarterFeedbackerLS Extra StafferTreasure HunterGreat BuilderDesign StylerGold StafferDorm CrazyTake me AwayCount Them: 1, 2, 3Time TravellerClock RacerBirthday WisherHoarderSending LoveAnd unicornsTech SuportPet PersonChallenge CrazyPrize DonatorChallenge GuruSmall QuartersEP MonsterMini MeEA are you kidding?Based in FictionWCIF MasterJudgecornDeck the HallsSilver StafferDine outColor Lover
Work the angle
Angling the camera is very important - if you want your pictures to look the best. It is also important to be able to control the camera so here is a list of the controls you use in Tab mode.

[Image: tab-mode.png]
Note that in sims 3, tab mode only works in live mode, so yes you HAVE to move in a sim

A better angle
[Image: Screenshot-982.jpg]
The room is nice, but the angle is so high that it is hard to see how the room actually looks.

[Image: Screenshot-983.jpg]
The same room taken from a much more interesting angle.
The camera is lowered to the Sims eye level.

[Image: Screenshot-971.jpg]
Here the room is kind of boring - well it is a EA room so what did you expect. The angle of the picture does not do it any favours either - it is too low and the shot is too wide (zoomed out too much). The walls are also down so it is hard to get a proper idea of how the room really look.

[Image: Screenshot-970.jpg]
Sarah has zoomed in here. The walls are up and the angle is slightly higher. The camera has also been moved closer to the subject so we don't see endless floor and ceiling. The room is still not great, but it is looking much better.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to macthekat for this post
Received Awards:
[Image: 049.jpg]

Read the article in issue 15

[Image: mackat_551.jpg]

Issue 17 - Mostly sims 3 tips
Received Awards:
What ruins a good picture, and how to fix it
There is a number of things that just ruins any good picture no matter how yummy a room you created. I will go over the things I think always ruins a picture and tell you what to do to avoid it or how to fix it. Some of these things are just good habits while other things are only a cheat code away.

Read the full guide here
Received Awards:
Reserved
Received Awards:
Wow! This is very helpful. Cheers!
Received Awards:
Treasure HunterBeing BraveBirthday Wisher
I am very happy you liked it! They are some of my favourite articles we have done so Thank You.

EDIT: Now the links even work
[Image: logo-small.png][Image: PinkRabit-logo-2.jpg][Image: logo_small.gif]

Editor in Chief • Head of Layouts • General go to person • Take better PicturesHow to post imagesForum Rules
Received Awards:
I think for me it is extremely helpful. I will get my ducks in a row before attempting again. I need to practice with this.
Received Awards:
Treasure HunterBeing BraveBirthday Wisher
Do you need to change your graphic settings to a better setting? I have mine on low.
Received Awards:
Treasure HunterNew FriendBeing BraveBeginner BuildersEA are you kidding?Color LoverCount Them: 1, 2, 3Sending LoveDesign StylerSmall QuartersWCIF MasterBirthday WisherHoarder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner What ruins a good picture, and how to fix it macthekat 4 11,841 10-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Last Post: diputsinva
  Second floor disappearing for screenshot SelaronoSIms 4 1,286 07-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Last Post: SelaronoSIms
  Taking pictures of residential lots Melisziee 10 3,150 11-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Last Post: mrmiss