Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skilled Reduce the White glare - Sims 3
Glare on white horizontal surfaces is a real problem in sims 3.

One solution is to turn off reflection under graphic options in your game. Not elegant but it does work. If you are running on a low end computer, this might be your best option anyway, since reflective surfaces put a strain on your computer's graphic card.
You can also stop taking daytime pictures of rooms with white surfaces, not a good solution either, but that also works.

I will however show you a few tricks that I use in my game to minimize the glare if not completely remove it.

Before picture
[Image: Screenshot-402.jpg]

Now that is pretty bad isn't it? Lets start by doing the simple thing...

Turn the intensity of the light in the room down from Normal to Dim, by clicking on the lamp (or ctrl-clicking in buymode).
[Image: mackat_111.jpg]

This reduces the glare quite a bit:
[Image: Screenshot-404.jpg]

Now turn off some lights - here I turned off the two lights closest to the camera.
[Image: mackat_108.jpg]

Better right?
[Image: Screenshot-405.jpg]

My last trick is to re-CASt the surfaces to a light grey instead of pure white. I never use a white lighter than #DDDDDD and often use a darker.
[Image: mackat_109.jpg]

This gives us this result, which I am quite happy with.
Final Result
[Image: Screenshot-406.jpg]

Some people are also using the flame setting...
[Image: mackat_113.jpg]

...but I don't like the inherent orange light it gives, though it does often reduce the glare even more.
[Image: Screenshot-408.jpg]
[Image: logo-small.png][Image: PinkRabit-logo-2.jpg][Image: logo_small.gif]

Editor in Chief • Head of Layouts • General go to person • Take better PicturesHow to post imagesForum Rules
[+] 11 users say Thank You to macthekat for this post
Received Awards:
OrganizerAd ManPhotographerLayouterChallenge HostStir CrazyTutorial WriterTopic StarterFeedbackerLS Extra StafferTreasure HunterGreat BuilderDesign StylerGold StafferDorm CrazyTake me AwayCount Them: 1, 2, 3Time TravellerClock RacerBirthday WisherHoarderSending LoveAnd unicornsTech SuportPet PersonChallenge CrazyPrize DonatorChallenge GuruSmall QuartersEP MonsterMini MeEA are you kidding?Based in FictionWCIF MasterJudgecornDeck the HallsSilver StafferDine outColor Lover
These really are very helpful tips! Thank you, Mac!
A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge Heart

[Image: krissuliin_doty_2013.png]
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Krissuliin for this post
Received Awards:
Birthday WisherNew FriendTreasure HunterBeing BraveBeginner BuildersCount Them: 1, 2, 3Copy CatContest WinnerStir CrazyParty AnimalJudgecornFeatured
I've always played with the light intensity, and occasionally changed the light color to flame, but I never thought of changing white surfaces to gray. Nice tip!
[Image: POTM_november_Von_zpse4ad3b63.png][Image: JanuaryPOTM_zps7fb18853.png]
Received Awards:
Photographer of the MonthCopy CatSending LoveRetired Staffer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner What ruins a good picture, and how to fix it macthekat 4 12,874 10-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Last Post: diputsinva
  Second floor disappearing for screenshot SelaronoSIms 4 1,703 07-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Last Post: SelaronoSIms
  Beginner Take better pictures macthekat 19 47,429 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Last Post: mrmiss