I was thinking (& even wrote it up) of having a Hotel/Motel challenge. With a minimum of 3 sleeping rooms, maximum of 10 sleeping rooms. I know this is a bigger challenge than many, but because hotel rooms are so much the same, I think it's very doable in a few gaming sessions. Add to that, most hotels don't have a lot of clutter in the rooms. Most are very basic. If you think this is a good idea, but too big - is there another way we could make it work? I'm not saying go all grand hotel, but doing it on a much smaller scale.
Do you think it's necessary to include the basic shells - one Hotel type & one Motel type? I was thinking it's a good idea (for both games), but I'm not sure how to incorporate the several different styles in one or 2 buildings. I can do it, and will, if needed. I just reinstalled TS2 & NL and, boy, is it different after playing TS3 for so long! I did a basic shell & it's oh so very basic with no CC and only the base game with only the 1 EP.
Here's my list of Hotel/Motel options for those who choose to participate:
Bed & Breakfast
- cozy, often Traditional, Shabby Chic, French Country, Primitive or Victorian decor. Typically, there is a community kitchen and community bathrooms. I've always thought of an old Victorian house to be the basis of the Bed & Breakfast establishment.
- along a beach or with a beach view, the hotel can have a main buidling with a few rooms and a small cottage or 2 just off the beach. Often Nautical, Tropical or Mediterranean decor with Modern/Contempo, Cultural or Traditional flair.
- often log cabin like (in my mind) with Rustic appeal with Modern or Traditional flair. The layout or Hotel design can be like the Seaside, with a cabin or 2 on a hillside.
- shared accommodations with community kitchen & usually community bathrooms. Very often Modern/Minimalist decor.
- Boutiques are luxurious & posh and themed hotels (a far as I know) have a definitive theme.
- Era themed (1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc.)
- Children (I would say Disney or Nickelodeon, but I know the cc for something like that would be highly limited and who'd want to download it all anyhow? ) - just imagine a resort geared towards the kids.
If you can think of more themes, by all means throw down! Participants would need to indicate the theme of their hotel if they choose to do a themed one.
- self explanatory with lush gardens inside & out with at least 2 walk out garden rooms. Traditional, Cultural or Modern decor.
Holiday Village Resort
- Christmas themed, Valentine's, Halloween...
- off the highway after a long road trip or on a seedy just out of downtown road, there are several of these. If you choose to do a Dive, please stick to trashy, outdated and run down decor. I know they're not all like this, but for this challenge we'll pretend they are.